Friday, February 22, 2013

Lego Work Station

Inspired by a Family Fun magazine article, I set to build a work station for LegoSon's bedroom.  It was very simple and only took minutes to assemble after my trip to Target and Menard's to buy these supplies:

2 Sterlite drawer carts
1 24" x 48" pre-finished shelf
non-slip shelf liner

We already owned this Stokke chair, but it seems a bit bulky for the workstation.  I'd really like to get one of these IKEA stools instead, it definitely would be better sized for the work station. It will be in my cart next time!

I cut two squares of shelf liner to fit the tops of the drawer carts, then set the shelf on top of the carts. Simple, huh?  Not too bad compared to the inspiration.  I chose not to decorate the drawers or tabletop with colored tape, I figured LegoSon wouldn't notice the difference.  I also didn't glue any base plates to the top because LegoSon doesn't like to build on them and they would have easily doubled the cost of the project.  I didn't add a third drawer cart because I wanted a permanent desk set up without any moving pieces.
 

LegoDad had the more difficult task of mounting 2 IKEA Lack shelves on the wall above the desk. (We had bought these shelves long before this project became an idea).   I was hoping that with a place for displaying sets, LegoSon wouldn't play with and disassemble his sets within hours of completing them. And for the most part, this has been a success.  You can see that the Atlantis sets I built recently are sitting on them right now.   I must tell you that by no means does this set up hold all of our Lego bricks, but LegoSon loves it and so do I!
 
$25 drawer cart (we already owned 1 of these)
$10 pre-finished shelf
$30 Lack shelves
Total Cost $75
 

No comments: